|Authors||Poon, L.C., Wright, D., Rolnik, D.L., Syngelaki, A., Delgado, J.L., Tsokaki, T., Leipold, G., Akolekar, R., Shearing, S., De Stefani, L., Jani, J.C., Plasencia, W., Evangelinakis, N., Gonzalez-Vanegas, O., Persico, N., Nicolaides, K.H. and Allen, A.|
Objective: To examine whether there are differences in the effect of aspirin on the incidence of preterm-PE in the ASPRE trial in subgroups defined according to maternal characteristics and medical and obstetrical history.
Study design: This was a secondary analysis of data from the ASPRE trial. In ASPRE women with singleton pregnancies had screening by means of an algorithm that combines maternal factors and biomarkers at 11-13 weeks’ gestation. Those with an estimated risk for preterm-PE of >1 in 100 were invited to
participate in a double-blind trial of aspirin (150 mg/day) vs. placebo from 11 to 14 until 36 weeks’ gestation. Aspirin was associated with a significant reduction in the incidence of preterm-PE with delivery at <37 weeks’ gestation, which was the primary outcome (odds ratio 0.38; 95% confidence interval, 0.20 to 0.74; P=0.004). Subgroup analysis was performed to assess evidence of differences in the effect of aspirin on incidence of preterm-PE in subgroups defined by maternal age (<30 and ≥30 years), body mass index (<25 and ≥25 kg/m2), racial origin (Afro-Caribbean, Caucasian and other), method of conception (natural and assisted), cigarette smoking (smoker and non-smoker), family history of PE (present and absent), obstetrical history (nulliparous, multiparous with previous PE and multiparous without previous PE), history of chronic hypertension (present and absent). Interaction tests were performed on the full data set of patients in the intention to treat population and on the data set of patients who took > 90% of the prescribed medication. Results are presented as forest plot with P values for the
interaction effects, group sizes, event counts and estimated odds ratios. We examined whether the test of interaction was significant at the 5% level with a Bonferroni adjustment for multiple comparisons.
Results: There was no evidence of heterogeneity in the aspirin effect in subgroups defined according to maternal characteristics and obstetrical history. In participants with chronic hypertension preterm-PE occurred in 10.2% (5/49) in the aspirin group and in 8.2% (5/61) in the placebo group (adjusted odds ratio 1.29, 95% confidence interval, 0.33 to 5.12); the respective values in those without chronic hypertension were 1.1% (8/749) in the aspirin group and 3.9% (30/761) in the placebo group (adjusted odds ratio 0.27, 95% confidence interval, 0.12 to 0.60). In all participants with adherence of >90% the adjusted odds ratio in the aspirin group was 0.24 (95% CI 0.09 to 0.65), in the subgroup with chronic hypertension it was 2.06 (95% CI 0.40 to 10.71) and in those without chronic hypertension it was 0.05 (95% CI 0.01 to 0.41). For the complete data set the test of interaction was not significant at the 5% level (p=0.055), but in those with adherence >90%, after adjustment for multiple comparisons, the interaction was significant at the 5% level (p=0.0019).
Conclusions: The beneficial effect of aspirin in the prevention of preterm preeclampsia may not apply in pregnancies with chronic hypertension. There was no evidence of heterogeneity in the aspirin effect in subgroups defined according to maternal characteristics and obstetrical history.
1. Rolnik DL, Wright D, Poon LC, et al. Aspirin
versus placebo in pregnancies at high risk for
preterm preeclampsia. N Engl J Med 2017;377:
2. Akolekar R, Syngelaki A, Poon L, Wright D,
Nicolaides KH. Competing risks model in early
screening for preeclampsia by biophysical and
biochemical markers. Fetal Diagn Ther 2013;33:
3. Wright D, Syngelaki A, Akolekar R, Poon LC,
Nicolaides KH. Competing risks model in
screening for preeclampsia by maternal characteristics and medical history. Am J Obstet
4. Poon LC, Zymeri NA, Zamprakou A,
Syngelaki A, Nicolaides KH. Protocol for measurement of mean arterial pressure at 11-13
weeks’ gestation. Fetal Diagn Ther 2012;31:
5. Plasencia W, Maiz N, Bonino S, Kaihura C,
Nicolaides KH. Uterine artery Doppler at 11þ0 to
13þ6 weeks in the prediction of pre-eclampsia.
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2007;30:742-9.
6. Brown MA, Lindheimer MD, de Swiet M, Van
Assche A, Moutquin JM. The classification and
diagnosis of the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: statement from the International Society
for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy
(ISSHP). Hypertens Pregnancy 2001;20:IX-XIV.
7. R Development Core Team. R: a language
and environment for statistical computing.
Available at: http://www.R-project.org/.
Accessed July 17, 2017.
8. Wright D, Poon LC, Rolnik DL, et al. ASPRE
trial: influence of adherence on beneficial effect
of aspirin in prevention of preterm preeclampsia.
Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017 Sep 6. pii: S0002-
ajog.2017.08.110. [Epub ahead of print].
9. Nicolaides KH. Turning the pyramid of prenatal care. Fetal Diagn Ther 2011;29:183-96.
10. Roberge S, Nicolaides KH, Demers S,
Villa P, Bujold E. Prevention of perinatal death
and adverse perinatal outcome using low-dose
aspirin: a meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet
11. Roberge S, Nicolaides K, Demers S, Hyett J,
Chaillet N, Bujold E. The role of aspirin dose on
the prevention of preeclampsia and fetal growth
restriction: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:110-20.e1-6.
12. Meher S, Duley L, Hunter K, Askie L. Antiplatelet therapy before or after 16 weeks’
gestation for preventing preeclampsia: an individual participant data meta-analysis. Am J
Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:121-8.
13. Tong S, Mol BW, Walker SP. Preventing
preeclampsia with aspirin: does dose or
timing matter? Am J Obstet Gynecol
14. European Medicines Agency. Guideline on
the investigation of subgroups in confirmatory
clinical trials EMA/CHMP/539146/2013. London, UK;2014:1-20.
15. Askie LM, Duley L, Henderson-Smart DJ,
Stewart LA. Antiplatelet agents for prevention of
pre-eclampsia: a meta-analysis of individual
patient data. Lancet 2007;369:1791-8.
16. Panaitescu AM, Syngelaki A, Prodan N,
Akolekar R, Nicolaides KH. Chronic hypertension
and adverse pregnancy outcomes: a cohort study.
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2017;50:228-35.
17. Brosens I, Pijnenborg R, Vercruysse L,
Romero R. The “great obstetrical syndromes” are
associated with disorders of deep placentation.
Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;204:193-201.
18. Romero R, Lockwood C, Oyarzun E,
Hobbins JC. Toxemia: new concepts in an old
disease. Semin Perinatol 1988;12:302-23.
19. Roberts JM, Taylor RN, Musci TJ,
Rodgers GM, Hubel CA, Mclaughlin MK
Preeclampsia: an endothelial cell disorder. Am J
Obstet Gynecol 1989;161:1200-4.
20. Redman CW, Sacks GP, Sargent IL. Preeclampsia: an excessive maternal inflammatory
response to pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol
21. Chaiworapongsa T, Chaemsaithong P,
Yeo L, Romero R. Pre-eclampsia part 1: current
understanding of its pathophysiology. Nat Rev
22. Brandes RP. Endothelial dysfunction and
hypertension. Hypertension 2014;64:924-8.
23. Harrison DG, Guzik TJ, Lob HE, et al.
Inflammation, immunity, and hypertension. Hypertension 2011;57:132-40.
24. Roberts JM, Hubel CA. The two stage model
of preeclampsia: variations on the theme.
25. Sacks GP, Studena K, Sargent IL,
Redman CWG. Normal pregnancy and preeclampsia both produce inflammatory changes
in peripheral blood leukocytes akin to those of
sepsis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998;179:80-6.
26. Morris JM, Gopaul NK, Endresen MJR, et al.
Circulating markers of oxidative stress are raised
in normal pregnancy and pre-eclampsia. Br J
Obstet Gynaecol 1998;105:1195-9.
27. Panaitescu AM, Akolekar R, Kametas N,
Syngelaki A, Nicolaides KH. Impaired placentation
in women with chronic hypertension that develop
preeclampsia. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2017
May 4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/uog.17517.
[Epub ahead of print].